Buttons, Badges & Pins - People Power Blog
Get Patio-Ready with DIY and Custom Coasters July 07 2016
Summer is here! And for us, that means sitting in the backyard and enjoying some sunshine with a lemonade in hand.
You can get patio-perfect too with some summer button coasters! All you need are the parts, a press and coaster die insert (also available with in-store rentals!) and a little bit of creativity to make the perfect summer craft!
This How-To video will guide you on your coaster-making journey:
DIY and Custom coasters are the perfect thing for guests to take home at weddings or family reunions. A set of coasters would make an amazing gift for a special occasion or housewarming! We even have customers who have small businesses selling the coasters they make at craft shows and markets!
If you make some coasters, buttons, or magnets that you think the world should see, post a picture on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and tag us :) We love to show off the creations of our fellow buttoneers!
to make coasters with your 3.5" button machine you will also need a Coaster Die Insert.
How to Make Coasters with Your Button Maker (Practical Craft Ideas!) November 11 2015
How to Make Coasters with Your Button Maker (Practical Craft Ideas!)
Did you know that with the right materials, a handy coaster adapter insert and a little creativity, you can use your 3.5” Button Maker to make one-of-a-kind coasters?
These coasters can give your cup or glass a fun place to land while also protecting your table. Practical and expressive - what a perfect combination!
Coasters are also a great way to create unique and personalized gifts or souvenirs for friends, family and customers. With the holiday season just around the corner, the 3.5” Button Maker Coaster Kit with everything you need to make coasters may be just what you need!
Here’s what you need to get started:
1 ) 3-1/2” Button Maker
2) Coaster adapter insert to help give the coaster a flatter surface than a typical, curved, 3-1/2” button
3) Coaster Parts/Supplies: Shells, Recessed Backs, Cork Discs, and Mylar (for standard glossy coasters) or laminated pre-cut art (for matte or high gloss finish coasters). For standard gloss, just order “Everything you need to make 3-1/2” Round Coasters” from our site and you’ll get everything you need. For matte or high gloss, you’ll need to order laminated pre-cut art separately.
And here’s how to do it!
Decisions, decisions… will you choose laminate matte or glossy finish?
When making coasters with your button maker, you can also make a choice on the finish: glossy, matte, or any other creative finishes you can come up with. Here are some things to consider:
- Laminating eliminates the chance of condensation between the paper and plastic, which is typically a function of humid climates – not being exposed to water. Both laminate and Mylar (the thin plastic sheet) are water resistant and can easily be wiped clean. You just don’t want to submerge the coasters in water, because the structure is made of tin and will rust and b) if it rusts or is sitting up to the brim in water for too long, the water will eventually find its way in through the seams. Regular table surface water and spills shouldn’t be an issue. The cork backing also helps, by raising it off the table.
- Colours pop way better with a high gloss laminate. Less plastic means more light gets to the paper, which creates greater vibrancy.
- Matte laminate feels nicer to the touch. Ooooh, smoooooth and satiny!
- Mylar shows scratches and shows wear more obviously because it is thicker and shiny.
- Matte laminate reduces glare, making the words on the coaster easier to read.
- While a warm mug will NOT melt your coaster, suction does occur between the mylar and the bottom of the mugs. This might result in the coaster lifting with the mug when someone picks it up. It will fall back off, usually on your lap or the floor – like many other coasters that you find at bars or craft shops. Laminate is melted onto the paper and doesn’t separate from the paper image (like mylar does, because it’s just layered, not melted), so no suction happens and the cup lifts off with no problems. : )
Loving the coaster idea, but don’t want to buy a button maker? We can make them for you!